Explore endless stretches of turquoise coastline, enjoy a unique 'paddock-to-plate' food experience at local award-winning bistro and round off the day in sweet and delicious style.
They say the sea heals the soul, and this stunning half day coastal walk from Homunga Bay to Waihi Beach is sweet escapism in its purest form. We wind our way around the east coast of the Coromandel, along cliff edges, discovering hidden bays along Pohutakawa lined edges. Enjoy a gourmet picnic lunch on the beach, dip your toes in the water before we make our way to Waihi Beach.
Next is a visit to local award-winning Falls Retreat Bistro for a unique 'garden-to-plate' food experience, featuring fresh, seasonal produce from the restaurant's huge garden. A glass of wine winds up our visit before we head back through the Karangahake Gorge.
Heading back inland, it's time to visit the land of blueberries and icecream! A short blueberry farm tour at the Kowhai Creamery is followed by the hardest decision you'll have to make all day. Choosing the flavour of your handmade gelato! Made from full cream jersey cow milk fed on lush Waikato pastures, the award-winning blueberry gelato is hard to beat! This experience will leave you with a satisfied soul, a sweet taste in your mouth and sweet memories.
- $395 per person
- Fully-inclusive, guided experience
- Departs: 7.30am from Hamilton
- Returns: 5.30pm to Hamilton
- Duration: 10 hours
- Walk/hike: 4.5 hours
- Grade: Moderate to easy
- Note: A minimum of 4 people are required for this tour to run
- Return transfers from Hamilton in comfortable and spacious transport with air conditioning.
- Professional local guide with local knowledge and stories leading the way
- 4.5 hour guided coastal walk
- Gourmet picnic style lunch
- Unique garden to plate experience, including tasting fresh, seasonal produce
- Glass of wine at award-winning bistro
- Owharoa Falls
- Blueberry farm tour with owners
- Tasting of award-winning gelato
What's not included
- Personal hiking gear such as boots and day packs. We do have some day packs and walking poles available for hire.
Easy to moderate
3.5 - 4.5 hours walking
Carrying a small day backpack for your personal gear such as water, lunch and
a rain jacket.
The track surfaces on this walk varies from farmland/grass to clay and sand but the track is mostly well-maintained. There are some narrow parts with sheer cliff edges so sure-footedness is a must for this walk. A good level of fitness means you will get the most out of this day. Our guides ensure that the pace is dictated by the group and allow plenty of time for short breaks for water, refreshments, photos and interesting stories on the way. For us, it's about the journey, not the destination.
Note: This itinerary should be seen as a guide only and is subject to change at any time due to elements outside our control. This walk in particular is subject to coastal tides and we may swap the order of our day around to manage this.