Escape with us to climb a waterfall, explore the purest of springs and sample the finest wine and cheese in the Waikato region.
Our morning begins at the base of the Kaimai ranges, we begin our first hike of the day, climbing steadily to the top of the stunning Wairere falls. At 155metres tall, these falls are the tallest in the North Island and clear days boast spectacular views as far as the eye can see across the Waikato region from the top.
After our descent, we make our way to the heart of the Waikato. A gentle walk along the banks of Te Waihou river leads us to the famous Blue Springs producing some of the clearest and purest water in New Zealand. Not a bad setting for a picnic lunch. A region renown for it's dairy farming and local produce, it's only natural that we visit a local cheese maker to sample some of the best cheeses in New Zealand. Multi-award winning cheesemakers Over the Moon Dairy are small in size but huge on creating unique flavours with their cheese.
Our afternoon is rounded off in fine style with a visit to Vilagrads, a fifth generation, family-owned winery. Sample a selection of their award-winning wines and ports and enjoy the stunning courtyard overlooking the vines.
This tour is for nature lovers with a great appreciation for quality local artisan food and fine wine.
- $370 per person
- Fully-inclusive, guided experience
- Runs: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday
- Departs: 7.30am from Hamilton
- Returns: 5.00pm to Hamilton
- Duration: 9.5 hours
- TWO guided short walks
- Walks: 4.5 hours total
- Grade: Moderate
- Note: A minimum of 2 people are required for this tour to run
- Return transfers from Hamilton in comfortable and spacious transport with air conditioning.
- Professional local guide with local knowledge and stories leading the way
- TWO guided short walks
- Walk to the top of Wairere Falls, tallest falls in the North Island
- Walk along the banks of Te Waihou Blue Spring
- Gourmet picnic style lunch
- Cheese tasting and view cheesemaking at Over the Moon Cheese
- Vilagrads winery visit and tasting
What's not included
- Personal hiking gear such as boots and day packs, water bottles. We do have some day packs and walking poles available for hire.
4 - 4.5 hours walking total
Carrying a small day backpack for your personal gear such as water, lunch and
a rain jacket.
The track surfaces on these two walks vary from farmland/grass to mud and rock and some gravel - but both tracks are well-maintained. Wairere falls track can be slippery and muddy when there has been a decent amount of rain. A good level of fitness means you will get the most out of this day. Our guides ensure that the pace is dictated by the group and allow plenty of time for short breaks for water, refreshments, photos and interesting stories on the way. For us, it's about the journey, not the destination.
Note: This itinerary should be seen as a guide only and is subject to change at any time due to elements outside our control.