Escape the hustle and bustle and join us for two walks by water and tastes of the Waikato region, filled with dairy-rich produce.
Our morning begins with a gentle walk along the banks of Te Waihou river, a journey that leads us to the famous Blue Springs producing some of the clearest and purest water in New Zealand. Being deep in the heart of the Waikato, known for it's dairy farming and local produce, it's only natural that we visit a local cheese maker to sample some of the best cheeses in New Zealand. Multi-award winning cheesemakers Over the Moon Dairy are small in size but huge on creating unique flavours with their cheese.
Heading to the base of the Kaimai ranges, we begin our second walk of the day, climbing steadily to the top of Wairere falls. At 155metres tall, these falls are the tallest in the North Island and clear days boast spectacular views as far as the eye can see across the Waikato region. As our eyes feast on the views, we enjoy a gourmet picnic lunch at the top of the falls.
A short drive and we arrive at the land of blueberries and icecream! A short blueberry farm tour at the Kowhai Creamery is followed by the hardest decision you'll have to make all day. Choosing the flavour of your handmade gelato! Made from full cream jersey cow milk fed on lush Waikato pastures, the award-winning blueberry gelato is hard to beat!
How's the serenity? This tour is for nature lovers with a great appreciation for quality local artisan food.
- $370 per person
- Fully-inclusive, guided experience
- Departs: 7.30am from Hamilton
- Returns: 5.30pm to Hamilton
- Duration: 10 hours
- TWO guided short walks
- Walks: 4.5 hours total
- Grade: Moderate to easy
- Note: A minimum of 4 people are required for this tour to run
- Return transfers from Hamilton in comfortable and spacious transport with air conditioning.
- Professional local guide with local knowledge and stories leading the way
- TWO guided short walks
- Walk to the top of Wairere Falls, tallest falls in the North Island
- Walk along the banks of Te Waihou Blue Spring
- Gourmet picnic style lunch
- Cheese talk and taste experience at Over the Moon Cheese
- Blueberry farm tour with owners
- Tasting of award-winning gelato
What's not included
- Personal hiking gear such as boots and day packs. We do have some day packs and walking poles available for hire.
Easy to moderate
4 - 4.5 hours walking total
Carrying a small day backpack for your personal gear such as water, lunch and
a rain jacket.
The track surfaces on these two walks vary from farmland/grass to mud and rock and some gravel - but both tracks are well-maintained. Wairere falls track can be slippery and muddy when there has been a decent amount of rain. A good level of fitness means you will get the most out of this day. Our guides ensure that the pace is dictated by the group and allow plenty of time for short breaks for water, refreshments, photos and interesting stories on the way. For us, it's about the journey, not the destination.
Note: This itinerary should be seen as a guide only and is subject to change at any time due to elements outside our control. This walk in particular is subject to coastal tides and we may swap the order of our day around to manage this.