What do I need to pack?
To get the best out of our hiking tours, we've put together a recommended packing list.
Hands down the most important piece of gear is a good sturdy pair of hiking boots. Blisters don't make for good walking companions. Make sure to break them in by wearing them on a few hikes before this tour!
Essential items for hiking:
- Sturdy, broken-in hiking boots
- Hiking socks, preferably wool (enough for a fresh pair each day!)
- Daypack approx. 20 - 30 litres
- Raincoat, waterproof with hood
- Shorts or light weight trousers (quick dry fabric is best)
- Short sleeved shirt (quick dry or merino is ideal)
- Long sleeved shirt, thermal layer or light sweater
- Polar fleece jersey
- Sun hat or cap, sunglasses, sunscreen
- Extra drink bottle 600mls plus (we provide you with one drink bottle to keep!)
New Zealand weather conditions are highly variable so it is essential to have clothing that keeps you warm, even when wet. Polypropylene or wool clothing is recommended for hiking - not cotton.
Optional items for hiking:
- Walking poles
- Waterproof over trousers
Other recommended items:
- Casual clothing for evenings (and plenty of warm clothing!).
- Light shoes or sandals for evenings
- Camera, plus spare film/memory cards & batteries
- Personal toiletries and medications
- Blister kit
- Bathing suit and towel
We have a small selection of daypacks and walking poles available for hire. Daypack hire is NZ$20 and walking poles are $15 for the tour. Please get in touch with us or let us know on the booking form if you would like to enquire about hiring any of these items.